This micro-site aggregates data on deforestation in the Amazon from several sources. The most timely data comes from Brazil: specifically Brazil’s National Institute for Space Research (INPE) and Imazon, a Brazilian NGO.
Narrative context on these issues can be found at Mongabay’s Amazon rainforest section as well as Mongabay’s regular news reporting on the Amazon in English, Brazilian Portuguese, and Spanish. Recent headlines from these sites can be found at the bottom of this page.
This site is organized into sections:
- Brazilian Amazon: Monthly deforestation (INPE + Imazon)
- Brazilian Amazon: Monthly land use change (INPE)
Recent news on monitoring deforestation in the Amazon rainforest
- As climate change hits the Turkish coast, more marine reserves are needed (commentary)on September 29, 2023 at 4:08 pm
Growing up, I lived in Ankara, far away from the coast, but the best time of year for me was always the summer months when I would travel to the south with my family to camp and spend time in nature. We loved enjoying the sea on the Mediterranean coast and I remember how rich
- Return of the wolf to Nepal’s Himalayas may threaten snow leopardson September 29, 2023 at 2:47 pm
KATHMANDU — On the slopes of the Himalayas in Nepal, a primeval scene plays out routinely, far from human eyes: a snow leopard lies in wait for its prey, its thick white-gray coat with large black rosettes serving as the perfect camouflage in this craggy terrain. When it senses the opportune moment, it pounces, aiming
- Habitat loss drove long-tailed macaques extinct in Bangladesh, experts sayon September 29, 2023 at 1:44 pm
DHAKA — Experts point to habitat loss from a wide range of factors as the main reason the long-tailed macaque, one of the most widely distributed monkey species in the world, has gone extinct from Bangladesh. The mangrove forests of the southern district of Cox’s Bazar once constituted the northernmost reach of the species’ range
- Vietnamese environmentalist sentenced to 3 years in prison for tax evasionon September 28, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Hoang Thi Minh Hong, the prominent Vietnamese environmentalist, was sentenced to three years in prison on charges of tax evasion at the end of a brief trial in Ho Chi Minh City on Sept. 28. Members of the diplomatic community who attempted to attend the trial were denied access. Hong, who is an Obama Foundation
- Sumatran province hangs on for late rain as El Niño fires bring heat and sicknesson September 28, 2023 at 4:46 pm
New acute respiratory infections in Indonesia’s Palembang city, on the island of Sumatra, are on track to surpass the total number recorded there in 2022, as firefighters scramble to confront wildfires brought on by this year’s El Niño dry season. The health department in Palembang, the capital of South Sumatra province, said health workers in